We all dread it: when creases in our facial skin, which only appear when we smile and laugh, turn to permanent fine lines, and overtime, become dynamic wrinkles.
The lines on our face are usually the primary indication of our age to others, simply because just like material objects, wear and tear comes over time. Fine lines and wrinkles occur as a result of repetitive facial expressions. Factors such as sun exposure and smoking which dry out our skin, and health habits like diet, sleep and stress all play a role in how quickly and prominent the creases on our face will be.
Here is an overview on how specific factors cause premature aging:
• Sun exposure: Exposure to the sun or indoor tanning increases the development of wrinkles. UV light breaks down collagen and elastin fibres in the skin, which form the connective tissue which supports the skin and gives it firmness and elasticity. Applying cosmetic-grade sunscreen regularly before exposing yourself to the sun helps to reduce the harmful affects of the UV light.
• Alcohol: Alcohol dehydrates the skin, and dry skin is more likely to develop wrinkles prematurely.
• Smoking: Regular smoking accelerates the aging process, as it reduces the oxygen supply and blood circulation to the skin. The toxins in nicotine also affect the healthy production of collagen and elastin.
• Stress: Stress causes changes to the proteins in your skin and reduces its elasticity. The facial movements caused by stress, such as furrowing of the brows, may also contribute to the formation of wrinkles.
• Weight loss and weight gain: Weight loss can be a wonderful achievement and confidence booster, but unfortunately, often causes our skin to show more wrinkles. Significant weight gain causes the skin to stretch and lose elasticity, and if you lose the weight, the skin doesn’t always have the capacity to shrink back. Fat cells beneath the skin also shrink, which can cause the appearance of sagging skin.
• Genetics: Our genetic makeup often plays a significant role in how quickly we show signs of aging. Wrinkles also affect people with different skin tones differently due to the structural and functional characteristics of the skin. For example, research indicates that people of Asian and African American descent have a thicker compact dermis, and are therefore less prone to getting wrinkles.
Even if you spend your whole life avoiding dramatic facial expressions, staying out of the sun, and caring for your skin, wrinkles are unavoidable because our skin reduces its collagen and elastin production over time, which leads to a loss of firmness and elasticity.
But there is good news: just like something material which can the cleaned up, polished, mended and look ‘good as new’ without looking ‘brand new’, there are skincare regimes and non-surgical cosmetic procedures to make your face look rejuvenated too.
At Skinfidelity, we focus on providing cosmetic procedures to deliver natural results. Rather than alter your facial features, we aim to reverse time to reveal a younger looking, rejuvenated version of your best self.
Before discussing treatments, we like to provide clients with a basic education on skin care to make sure they are making healthy lifestyle choices which impact our skin. After all, if you’re investing money into cosmetic procedures, you should take care of your skin to maximize the benefits.
Maintaining hydrated skin is key to reduce the development of fine lines, and there are a variety of products which contain nutrients and antioxidants for soft, hydrated skin. We also carry a line of skincare products at our clinic, which we highly recommend for clients who receive our treatments. We also offer several non-surgical procedures to help prevent and treat early signs of aging and wrinkles.
Microneedling: As a first step in treating fine lines before they turn into deeper wrinkles, we recommend microneedling.
Microneedling involves creating ‘micro injuries’ to the skin’s epidermis. It stimulates the body’s natural reaction to start the wound healing process, which triggers the production of collagen and elastin. As a result, the skin grows back firmer, smoother, and more youthful.
At Skinfidelity, we use the safest microneedling technology on the planet: The SkinPen®, the first and only device both FDA approved and used internationally.
Dermal fillers: To treat specific areas where lines and creases develop, we offer dermal fillers as a way to ‘plump up’ sagging skin. Dermal fillers replace lost volume in the face to enhance facial features, lift sagging tissue, and soften facial lines and wrinkles. They consist of Hyaluronic Acid, a naturally occurring substance in our skin that contributes to volume and hydration. When injected, our body converts the gel-like substance from hyaluronic acid into its own collagen-the main structural protein which gives our skin elasticity.
Botox: Botox treatments work by relaxing the muscles that tend to furrow or tighten when you make certain facial expressions. Tiny injections of Botox can temporarily smooth away unwanted lines and wrinkles. You’ll still be able to make facial expressions, but Botox helps minimize extreme movements that age your skin. Afterward, your face will look younger, happier, and more well-rested. Skinfidelity specializes in natural Botox, which means the results of our clients’ Botox treatments are designed to be a subtle rejuvenation of facial features without altering a person’s appearance.
Baby-Botox: Baby-Botox is our approach to all first-time clients who have never had botox before. We start off very low and slow to ease our clients into uncharted territory. This allows our clients to become comfortable with the results of Botox, how it works and feels, and the affect on their appearance and movement of certain facial features. It’s never too early to try Baby-Botox, and in fact, celebrity plastic surgeons recommend starting with small strategic doses as a preventative measure before prominent wrinkles develop.
PDO Threads: PDO threads have been used for medical purposes for over a decade, and have a long safety track record in surgery and wound closure. In recent years, this procedure has been used as a cutting-edge treatment in medical spas as a non-surgical facelift alternative. Medically referred to as Polydioxanone threads, PDO lifts use a special medical-grade, biodegradable suture material to “stitch up” your skin so it is drawn taut. The threads are thinner than hair and dissolvable. Results will be noticeable immediately, with the full affects visible within a few weeks after the treatment. The overall appearance of the skin improves by becoming thicker, tighter, and smoother in texture, as well as reduced fine lines and wrinkles.